The roof is a vital part of any building whether residential or commercial. It is, therefore, important to make sure a proper roof survey is conducted before moving into any building. If you are already in the building, it helps to conduct the survey once in a while to ascertain that it is in proper condition, and it will serve you for a long time without any complications. To get accurate results, it is best to look for a reputable and trustworthy roofer who will get the job done right the very first time. There are a number of things you can expect from this survey and some of them include:
Written and verbal report on the condition of the roof
There are multiple things that are covered under this such as:
• Roof covering basics including age, how long it is expected to last, suspected leaks and any conditions that can be compared to similar properties.
• Rainwater and gutter systems- type, blockages/blocking, cracks/damage, leaking.
• Ridge tiles- the condition of tiles & mortar as well as an iron check.
• Chimney stacks- the condition of mortar and brickwork, worn flaunching, lose chimney pots, and flashing kinds.
• Gulley’s and valleys- fatigue splits and any repairs required.
• Skylights and roof window- flashing check, as well as inspection of fogging units or cracked glass.
• Flat roofs-condition of the flat roof, inspection for soft spots and roof covering.
• The structure of the roof- this includes a thorough internal and external check for roof spread, roof sag, Purlin condition & support, ventilation, condensation issues, tie bars, and wall plates.
• Dormer roofs- covering and durability.
Quote to fix any problems
If there are any problems identified during the survey, the roofer is supposed to present a written quote. This should be well detailed so that you can know exactly what the problem is and the solutions they apply. It helps to get at least three quotes from different companies to choose the one you feel will work out best for you. Approach this with a lot of caution to make sure you are not exploited in any way but end up getting great value for the money you will be investing in.
Images of damage
To know that you will not be taken for a ride by the roofing contractors, demand evidence of the damage. Viewing pictures of the damage assures you that it exists, and you can also gauge the extent of damage to know that the roofer has not invented the problem.
A roof survey is not complete without an action plan. The contractor should offer written and verbal plan of action that ensures your roof functions the way it is supposed to for an extended period. This is crucial as it will also help you prepare beforehand so as to avoid nasty surprises. If the roof is in tip-top condition and does not need any work, the contractor should be honest about this and give you expert advice on how best to take great care of the roof.