Overhead cranes are the mechanical equipment which works as a movable bridge and provided with a hoisting system. It glides over for the fixed overhead runway, and if you handle it carelessly, then it can be dangerous enough. However, they are very useful and robust machines that can help you out with the lifting and move heavy weights, besides displacing them from one place to the other.
Many people still live in fear and dilemma that this equipment is hazardous. But this nothing as such hazardous or unsafe until you are inattentive and careless to its operation and fail in following safety measures. This article will focus on enumerating the role of the maintenance process which plays a vital role in catering safety of overhead cranes. Thus, it is imperative to handle these machines carefully and follow the safety measures.
Safety terms and guidelines while using the overhead cranes.
Safety is the key in life when it comes using of these cranes. If you happen to follow the right safety measures, then you will be able to avert the costly injuries and life-threatening disabilities. Before you start this sort of bridge crane, you must ensure to read the operating manual thoroughly every crane has its specific function. Further, you can also jot down a couple of functions which is common to all of them.
* Make sure to wear protective gear and head protective gear once you start with your job with or near any cranes
* Before lifting or moving any cranes, you must make a point to check the clarity of visibility line all around and also lift the load high to clear all the obstruction below.
* You must clearly provide instruction to other about keeping the area clean and not moving or riding any load or the hook on the path.
* It is safe to move the load smoothly with much jerks or frequent move in any direction. Try to lift the weight in the vertical direction gently, meanwhile positioning the hoist directly above the load before lifting it and slightly lower it down below the hoist again.
* If you manage to keep the two long wraps of ropes on the hoist then will enhance the smoother movement.
* Monitor the signals only from the personnel operating the lift; however you can only in the case of the emergency signal coming in.
* Don’t dare to exceed the lifting capacity of your machine. If it new then tests it by lifting the weight up to few inches above the ground.
Maintenance of overhead cranes
For any device, maintenance is quite important, but ironically people get a little complacent towards it from time to time. Nevertheless, it can lead to some fatal results besides leading to heavy toil on time, money and health. It is necessary to inspect your machine thoroughly from time to time. From your end what you can do is, you can check your machine for loose ends or hanging components. If you get some abnormal sounds or movements from hoist then immediately consult your technician.